Hope everyone had a great holiday and received amazing and lovely things for Christmas (or for whatever occasion/holiday you may celebrate!) I am so excited because I got the most beautiful waffle maker! So naturally for this post I wanted to break this bad boy out. (WAHOO!) – Sorry I get really excited about silly things like new appliances. 🙂
It is DEFINITELY winter now. For me, winter means indulging in spiced deliciousness to warm the body from the outside in. Please enjoy these spicy(as in the nutmeg/cinnamon spicy not hot spicy but I’m sure you knew what I meant) waffles with a tangy-sweet cranberry compote!
Apple Cider Waffle with Maple Cranberry Compote
- 1 1/2 c SweetStacks Mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c milk
- 1/3 c apple sauce (if you don’t have this then just use 3 T oil)
- 2/3 c apple cider (if you don’t have apple cider you can use pressed apple juice)
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1/2 t cinnamon (sometimes I like to add a sprinkle bit more too!)
Maple Cranberry Compote
- 2 c fresh cranberries
- 2/3 c water
- 1/3 c maple syrup
- Splash of Bourbon (only if you want but you should just do it.)
- Combine SweetStacks mix, egg, milk, apple sauce(or oil) and apple cider.
- Mix in nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon.
- Make waffles!
- In a medium saucepan or pot bring to a boil on medium heat, the cranberries, water and maple syrup.
- Once boiling add bourbon and stir occasionally while crushing the cranberries. Reduce to low heat.
- After about 7-10 minutes let compote rest for 5 minutes and serve warm on waffles!
- *Side Note: I like to serve these family style with a giant stack of waffles and a heaping portion of the compote on top. It’s just more fun and pretty to look at. 🙂