When creating these blog posts I have a certain ritual: 1) Wake up extra early, so I have the perfect morning light for photos! 2) DRINK COFFEE (Two is very important.) 3) Listen to Ingrid Michaelson or Jack Johnson Pandora radio! In regards to ritual number three, this recipe is inspired by Jack Johnson’s song “Banana Pancakes.” Although I added a couple things to spice up your average banana pancakes.
Banana Pecan Pancakes with Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce
- ½ batch SweetStacks batter (1 c SS mix, 1 egg, 3 T oil, 2/3 c milk)
- 1.5-2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 T honey
- 1/3 c chopped pecans
Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 ½ c sugar
- ½ c water
- 6 T cubed unsalted butter
- 2 t sea salt
- 1 T Vanilla
- ¼ c bourbon
- 1 c whipping cream (room temperature)
- Make ½ batch of SweetStacks mix adding cinnamon and honey
- Fold in sliced bananas and pecans
- And finally, make pancakes!
Bourbon Salted Caramel
- In a large saucepan heat sugar and water on high heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved then refrain from stirring for 10+ minutes or until mixture is a nut brown, while occasionally swirling the pan for even browning. (This may take a while but don’t move until the next step until the mixture reaches a caramel brown color.)
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and whipping cream. Be careful, the mixture will bubble!
- Once combined, mix in salt, vanilla and bourbon. If the mixture is starting to harden at the bottom of the pan, put pan on low heat and stir.
- Let caramel cool for 8-10 minutes before pouring into jars. The consistency will change once cooled so don’t worry if it looks more like soup than sauce.
- Drizzle over banana pancakes or anything else you want!